Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Goat Lab



Just a note: the goats are not visible in these photos.

We met a pediatric orthopedic surgeon from the University of Ottawa, who helps run a week long surgical skills class in 8 African countries. It just so happened that this week was the week for KCMC. The class is for fourth year Tanzanian medical students, allowing them to gain skills in 40 surgical maneuvers.

The very next day (which was Tuesday) he was covering surgical airways (chricothyrotomies) and chest tubes (for hemothorax, tension pneumothorax, etc.) and he was demonstrating them on goats. Each student got to practice a chricothyrotomy and chest tube on a goat (the goats were not alive, but were expired with ketamine that day). I (Thompson) was able to attend this, and get some hands-on practice with both procedures. It was a lot of fun – and not terribly difficult (but then again I just inserted various tubes, and I did skip incisions). Meeting all the students was also great. Everyone was very friendly, and I made some new friends among the students, some of whom I had met earlier at a medical student lecture. Everyone was very determined to have me slice open the nearest goat, despite my protesting that it was (far) above my level of training, which for airway does not really go beyond OPA’s, NPA’s, and calling for additional support. In short, I had a lot of fun, and if you ever need a chest tube for a goat, give me a call.


3 comments:

  1. Don't worry Thompson, you can do the tube thoracostomy on my goat anytime : ) I took a pre-vet class at BYU where we got to help with surgical procedures on dogs and cats, and it has been a good review for my skills while I am away from the field. Sounds like this was a similar experience, although on dead goats instead of live dogs and cats who were up for adoption. You're getting some great experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for not picturing the actual goats. In the first picture, the student on the left looks like she will be using that open receptacle. If my goat needs a trach tube, you will be the first to know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excuse me. How is slicing a dead goat far above your level of training? When else are you going to get the chance? This is awesome, awesome stuff and I appreciate the tact of the photographer.

    ReplyDelete